Create a Website Account - Manage notification subscriptions, save form progress and more.
Show All Answers
There are numerous structures that need permits in the township, but a quick list includes:
• Sheds or detached buildings larger than 10' x 10' (100 square feet) need a zoning certificate and must be six feet from any property line. If the building is 200 square feet or larger, a building permit from Montgomery County and concrete foundation are required in addition to a zoning certificate.
• All pools (including above ground pools higher than two feet) require both a certificate and a building permit. Distance from the property line varies with the zoning district. Fencing or cover requirements also exist.
• All building additions require both a certificate and a building permit. Distance from the property line varies with the zoning district. • All patio covers and carports are considered building additions and require both a certificate and a building permit.
• All decks with floors 24 inches or more from the ground are considered building additions and require a certificate. Call Montgomery Building Regulations at (937) 225-4622 for requirements for deck permits.
• All signage with a commercial message requires both a certificate and a building permit.
• All fences require only a certificate from the township. The Application for Zoning Certificate should be accompanied by two plot plans indicating where the fence is to be installed. Fences are limited to 42 inches in height between the house and front property line(s), six feet elsewhere. For assistance in locating underground utilities, call the Ohio Utilities Protection Service at 800-362-2764.
• Please contact Montgomery County Building Regulations Department (937)-225-4622 prior to any construction project for current building code requirements as the building code is not regulated by Miami Township and is also periodically revised.
Prohibited signs are as follows:• Pennants, streamers, and similar type devices• Signs which have spinning devices or strings of spinning devices or similar type devices• Signs which are not securely affixed to the ground or otherwise affixed in a permanent manner, except temporary signs to a permanent supporting structure• Projecting signs• All blinking, flashing, or intermittent lighting, except as hereinafter provided: revolving lights and strings of lights are prohibited, except those strings of lights used for decorative purposes during the Winter holiday season• Beacons and search lights, except for emergency purposes• Any existing sign which is not a legal non-conforming sign and which has not been previously authorized by either Miami Township or Montgomery County Zoning Authorities• Vehicles on which identification of a business, service, or other advertising is displayed, consistently parked or used on the premises in such a manner and for such duration that they constitute a sign• LED, electronic, and digital reader boards not used as part of an approved changeable copy-electronic display• Portable advertising signs which have supporting structures designed and manufactured for the purpose of being transported from one location to another• Roof signs• Balloons, including hot air balloons, except for one three-day display for every six-month period• Moving, revolving or rotating signs• Signs displaying off-premise commercial messages, except Advertising Signs as provided for under the code• Any sign not expressly permitted by these regulations
You are able to use your property for agriculture if you live in an "A" Agricultural District or on a parcel larger than 5 acres. In certain cases, properties smaller than 5 acres are able to be used for agriculture. Please contact a Community Development staff member for more information.
Please read the ordinance below:Home OccupationsMiami Township Zoning ResolutionArticle 2, Section 208.02
The following are the general rules to follow if you plan to operate a home business. Your home occupation must be in compliance with all of the following regulations. A home occupation shall be an occupation carried on only within a dwelling unit by members of the family residing therein and provided:• Said occupation does not require state or local inspection• There shall be no internal or external alteration of the structure, when such alteration would be necessitated by such occupation• The occupation shall not occupy more than 200 square feet of floor area within the dwelling unit• Said occupation shall not require the use of any accessory building or yard• No wholesale or retail trade is permitted on the premises• Physical inventories for wholesale or retail trade shall not be maintained• The occupation shall not generate any additional pedestrian or vehicular traffic other than that normal to a residential us• No commodities shall be sold on the premises• The only mechanical equipment installed or used is that which is normally used for domestic or household purposes• No identification of the home occupation shall be permitted on the premises