The Road Department provides residents and businesses with snow removal on Township maintained roadways. To accomplish this task in a timely and efficient manner, the department has divided the Township into 9 routes. Snowfalls of less than 3 inches are removed by melting the snow with rock salt. Rock salt application takes crews approximately 4 hours to successfully treat all Township maintained roadways. Snowfalls of more than 3 inches in depth have to be plowed and salted to remove the snow. This operation involves at least 10 hours to complete a single pass with the snowplows over all township roadways. Weather conditions and traffic patterns can add a substantial amount of time needed for snow removal operations.
To help snow removal crews complete each event in an efficient and safe manner, the Road Department asks residents to:
- Delay non-essential travel until after the roads have been cleared.
- Do not attempt to pass township vehicles plowing or salting.
- During snowfalls of more than 3 inches, park off streets to allow crews to plow the entire street.
- When clearing a driveway, it is not permitted to push the snow out into the street. The responsible party will be liable for damages caused by illegally pushing snow into the roadway.
- To avoid clearing a driveway entrance repeatedly, wait until the plow truck has completed clearing the roadway curb to curb after the weather event has ended. During prolonged weather events, crews must clear roadways multiple times for motorist safety.
- Clear snow from around fire hydrants and storm water catch basin openings.
The Road Department reminds residents that not all roadways within Miami Township are maintained by our crews. Certain roadways are maintained by other governmental agencies or private contractors. Please refer to the Master Street Index for a listing of all roadways in Miami Township.
- The Ohio Department of Transportation, (937) 832-1824, maintains all state routes.
- The Montgomery County Engineer’s Office, (937) 837-2528, maintains county roads.
- Condo / apartment complexes and mobile home parks have streets maintained by the owners of the complex.
- Newly constructed roadways (not formally accepted by the Township) or private roadways are maintained by the developer or by a homeowner's association.
- Austin Landing is maintained by the developer of the property.
Residents with questions or concerns regarding snow removal are encouraged to call the Road Department at (937) 866-4661.